Five people are ill from the outbreak reported last week by officials at the California park, who said up to 10,000 guests could have been exposed to hantavirus pulmonary syndrome from sleeping in the cabins since 10 June.
More infections could be reported. Alerts from the US Centers for Dsease Control and Prevention sent to public health agencies, doctors and hospitals have turned up other suspected cases that have not yet been confirmed. This week the European CDC and the World Health Organization issued global alerts for travellers to any country to avoid exposure to rodents.
Dr Rahul Gupta, director of the Kanawha-Charleston health department, declined to release details of the West Virginia victim at a news conference.
Gupta said the victim had visited the park since June but declined to be more specific, citing the family's wish to grieve in private.
The other deaths occurred in California and Pennsylvania. Those that were sickened also were from California and the National Park Service said Wednesday they were either improving or recovering.
read more: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/sep/07/yosemite-hantavirus-third-victim. Also, check out how to become a pharmacy tech.